News & Notices
Tree and Branch Disposal Site Open
September 22nd from 5- 8pm
Breckenridge, Minnesota on the beautiful prairie of the Red River Valley of the North, is a unique small city of 3,559 people. It's located on the Headwaters of the Red River of the North, the longest North-flowing river in the United States, flowing 549 miles to Lake Winnipeg, Canada, and from there to Hudson Bay.
No novel or TV series could be as interesting as the history and development of Breckenridge and the adventurous people who risked their lives to settle this land. The land now occupied as Breckenridge was originally inhabited by the Dakota (Sioux) and Ojibwa (Chippewa) Indian nations. Countless herds of buffalo roamed the area. In 1851, Indian treaties opened up this land for settlement.
Breckenridge is a "Historic Riverboat & Railroad Town".
- Explore Minnesota
- MN Department of Transportation
- Breckenridge/Wahpeton Chamber of Commerce
- Breckenridge Public School http://breckenridge.k12.mn.us/
- St. Mary's Catholic School www.stmarysschoolbreck.com/
- Future Skate Park at 630 6th St N (east of the Family Community Center)- for information go to www.twintownskatepark.org (To Donate Call 218-643-1431)
- Wilkin County Government & to sign up for CODE RED www.co.wilkin.mn.us
- Salvation Army Heat Share- Donate at www.heatshare.org